Halal-Australia-Logo-JPEG

Halal certification is the new burqa.

Organising boycotts of Aussie companies trying to export their goods is the new opposing a local mosque for ‘parking reasons’.

Few things make our blood boil at Dodgy Perth HQ, but racists pretending not to be racist because “Islam is a religion, not a race” is definitely one of them.

So with all the current fuss over halal certification, you might be forgiven for thinking this is something brand new. Something that Australian exporters have only started doing in the last few years. While they also enjoy funding terrorism. Apparently.

Well, no to all of the above.

WA’s ‘Afghan’ camel drivers must have had sources of approved foods. But it appears they often turned butcher themselves when meat was required.

The first halal certification scheme in Australia seems to have been in Queensland in 1905. Four Muslim butchers were brought over to certify the meat was prepared appropriately, so that exports could begin big time.

You will never guess what happened next.

Protests. And outrage. So much outrage.

Not because halal meat is cruel. Or that we were funding ISIS.

Just because the butchers weren’t white. Oh yes, it was White Australia time.

So, when a canning plant was planned for Wyndham, here in Western Australia, it didn’t take long for the exporters to start drooling at the thought of the tens of millions of Muslims in Malaysia, India, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

All they would need was halal certification and East Kimberley would boom.

In 1909, this was exactly what was proposed.

A Pilbara resident, H. Musa Khan, said that bringing over a couple of ‘educated and religious’ Mohammedans to supervise at Wyndham’s slaughter yards would enable all the canned meat (except pork, obviously) to be sold anywhere in the world.

Mr Khan was keen to stress that only a couple of Muslims would be needed, so White Australia would still be white. And this was not a job which could be filled by a white local anyway.

No one listened. Jobs and exports were not as important as racial purity.

Instead, by the 1920s live exports were thought to be the way to go. (And mainly, still are!)

After the Depression, some bright spark suggested again that perhaps a single Muslim might be brought over to WA. That way, halal certification could start and we could climb out of poverty and misery.

We suppose you can guess that no one listened.

White Australia 1. Beef producers 0.

3 thoughts on “Halal, is it meat you’re looking for?

  1. The protest is against domestic halal certification not export.Domestic halal certification is an unfair muslim tax by 2% of the population on the other 98% of non muslims.The cost this year will be 12 billion. Nearly all food in AU is now halal certified which impinges on the religious rights of others who have no choice other than to eat food blessed by a false god which is against many other religions.Your story is only valid if you believe only muslims have the right to practice their religion freely in Australia and other religions dont.

    Like

    1. You realise that $12b is about a quarter of total GST revenue? Not completely a realistic figure, wouldn’t you say?

      Also, you might want to read up on why Paul wrote to Corinth about food sacrificed to idols. (I assume that’s what you’re talking about. It’s not really clear.) There has been a lot of work on his correspondence in recent years, and I can recommend a few introductory books if you like.

      Like

      1. Yes it is not a realistic figure as Australians should not have to pay any religious tax to any religion.The figure I quoted comes from the halal certification authority of Australia.The head of it brags about it while calling non muslim Australians “Dole bludging descendants of convicts” Want to have a go at racists ?you will find plenty of them over at Halal headquarters

        Like

Comments are now closed.